Program Manager: Diana Culp
Designed for students with previous emergency management career experience, or a desire for focused study on a specialized topic(s) within the field. Tactical Scholars will begin by exploring the fundamentals of emergency management, then work with the Program Manager to identify a sequence of specialized coursework best suited to their needs for career advancement or academic exploration. Culminating with an opportunity for application and directed reflection, the Tactical Scholar Program flexibility prepares students for additional work responsibilities or further, higher-level study.
After completing the required FEMA IS prerequisites, students enroll in selected EMGT courses. Students must earn a grade of 'C' or better in these EMGT courses. These are FCC online courses offered during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
The process to transfer FEMA IS prerequisites to Frederick Community College (FCC) takes place in three (3) environments:
- FEMA website: Take FEMA IS courses online at https://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.aspx
- EMI/Jacobs: Transfer FEMA IS courses to FCC college credit at www.emstudy.com
- FCC: Where final FEMA college credit resides, and where EMGT courses are completed.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the knowledge needed to work effectively in an Emergency Management organization.
- Demonstrate the oral and written communication ability to work effectively in an Emergency Management organization.
- Demonstrate leadership ability to work effectively in an Emergency Management organization.
- Assist with the design, development, and oversight of Emergency Management exercises.
- Provide leadership and direction to volunteers and professionals in an Emergency Management organization.
- Communicate information about Emergency Management procedures and process to the public.